If you are looking to gain lean muscle tissue whilst losing fat, then take a look at our example bodybuilding diet plan. The plan consists of eating six meals per day that contain high quantities of protein, but are low in fat. This example diet is suitable for those that want to gain, lose or maintain their bodyweight, simply by changing the quantity of carbohydrates within each meal.
At six meals per day, that works out to 42 in a week. If you can stick to this strict eating regimen, then great, otherwise, allow a few ‘cheat’ meals, that is, eating whatever you want, but don’t go overboard, try and limit this to three at the most per week!
An example breakfast:
- 30-50g Whey protein powder, such as USN Whey Protein, mixed in with 40g of porridge oats or separate with milk/water plus the porridge oats. It’s also a good idea to take a glass or natural orange juice with either of the options
- Another option would be to have a split between muesli and porridge to give variety. Not forgetting the whey protein shake
- 4+ scrambled eggs on toast (ideally brown or wholemeal)
Example mid morning meal:
- Chicken breast (approx. 220g) plus 100g of brown rice and mixed vegetables
- 150g of pasta with 200g+ of lean meat and a side salad
- One serving of a mass gainer such as USN Hyperbolic Mass or Maximuscle Progain Extreme (or similar alternative with less carbs depending on your target goals)
Moving onto lunch:
- Large potato filled with tuna sweet-corn
- Omelette with vegetable plus a tin of tuna and two slices of toast
Example mid afternoon meal:
- Similar to the example mid morning meals
- Include some fruit with this meal too
Onto dinner, meal five:
- Chicken breast with noodles/rice and some mixed vegetables
- 200g of Fish such as Mackerel/Cod/Sea Bass/Salmon/Haddock/Trout with potatoes/pasta/rice plus mixed vegetables
- Lean steak with potatoes or similar carb source
Last meal of the day:
- Bread with low-fat cottage cheese
- Serving of a slow release protein blend (USN Protein Dessert)
- Whey protein powder mixed in milk or water
- 40g Porridge oats serving
Depending on your goals, adjust the quantities of carbohydrates, such as the rice, pasta, potatoes or noodles. As above, you can swap meals for protein shakes/mass gainers or meal replacement powders like Maximuscle Promax Diet or USN Diet Fuel. However, the days that you can eat meal, keep to them.
Whenever you go to the gym, you may want to add in a whey protein shake immediately afterwards, then eat your next meal within 30 minutes to one hour after the protein shake.
There we go, six meals all planned out. For my experience though, the toughest part is keeping consistent with this eating regimen. However, if you stick to it, you are likely to have good gains.